Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: CANTS
- Two surfaces meeting at an angle different from 90 degrees
- Stock phrases that have become nonsense through endless repetition
- Insincere talk about religion or morals
- A characteristic language of a particular group (as among thieves); "they don't speak our lingo"
- A slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
- Heel over; "The tower is tilting"; "The ceiling is slanting"
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (superl.) Not full, large, or plentiful; scarcely sufficient; less than is wanted for the purpose; scanty; meager; not enough; as, a scant allowance of provisions or water; a scant pattern of cloth for a garment.
- (superl.) Sparing; parsimonious; chary.
- (v. t.) To limit; to straiten; to treat illiberally; to stint; as, to scant one in provisions; to scant ourselves in the use of necessaries.
- (v. t.) To cut short; to make small, narrow, or scanty; to curtail.
- (v. i.) To fail, or become less; to scantle; as, the wind scants.
- (adv.) In a scant manner; with difficulty; scarcely; hardly.
- (n.) Scantness; scarcity.