- (n.) A single movement from one foot to the other in walking; a step.
- (n.) The length of a step in walking or marching, reckoned from the heel of one foot to the heel of the other; -- used as a unit in measuring distances; as, he advanced fifty paces.
- (n.) Manner of stepping or moving; gait; walk; as, the walk, trot, canter, gallop, and amble are paces of the horse; a swaggering pace; a quick pace.
- (n.) A slow gait; a footpace.
- (n.) Specifically, a kind of fast amble; a rack.
- (n.) Any single movement, step, or procedure.
- (n.) A broad step or platform; any part of a floor slightly raised above the rest, as around an altar, or at the upper end of a hall.
- (n.) A device in a loom, to maintain tension on the warp in pacing the web.
- (v. i.) To go; to walk; specifically, to move with regular or measured steps.
- (v. i.) To proceed; to pass on.
- (v. i.) To move quickly by lifting the legs on the same side together, as a horse; to amble with rapidity; to rack.
- (v. i.) To pass away; to die.
- (v. t.) To walk over with measured tread; to move slowly over or upon; as, the guard paces his round.
- (v. t.) To measure by steps or paces; as, to pace a piece of ground.
- (v. t.) To develop, guide, or control the pace or paces of; to teach the pace; to break in.
Stuck on a crossword puzzle or Wordle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
New! You can also search for definitions and anagrams by typing in a word without any question marks.
Definitions of: CAPE
- (n.) A piece or point of land, extending beyond the adjacent coast into the sea or a lake; a promontory; a headland.
- (n.) A sleeveless garment or part of a garment, hanging from the neck over the back, arms, and shoulders, but not reaching below the hips. See Cloak.
- (v. i.) To head or point; to keep a course; as, the ship capes southwest by south.
- (v. i.) To gape.