- Location of a colony of the United Kingdom on a limestone promontory at the southern tip of Spain; strategically important because it can control the entrance of ships into the Mediterranean; one of the Pillars of Hercules
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: CAPEL
- (n.) Alt. of Caple
- (n.) A composite stone (quartz, schorl, and hornblende) in the walls of tin and copper lodes.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A horse; a nag.
- (n.) A bird; the flicker.
- (n.) Any portion of space regarded as measured off or distinct from all other space, or appropriated to some definite object or use; position; ground; site; spot; rarely, unbounded space.
- (n.) A broad way in a city; an open space; an area; a court or short part of a street open only at one end.
- (n.) A position which is occupied and held; a dwelling; a mansion; a village, town, or city; a fortified town or post; a stronghold; a region or country.
- (n.) Rank; degree; grade; order of priority, advancement, dignity, or importance; especially, social rank or position; condition; also, official station; occupation; calling.
- (n.) Vacated or relinquished space; room; stead (the departure or removal of another being or thing being implied).
- (n.) A definite position or passage of a document.
- (n.) Ordinal relation; position in the order of proceeding; as, he said in the first place.
- (n.) Reception; effect; -- implying the making room for.
- (n.) Position in the heavens, as of a heavenly body; -- usually defined by its right ascension and declination, or by its latitude and longitude.
- (n.) To assign a place to; to put in a particular spot or place, or in a certain relative position; to direct to a particular place; to fix; to settle; to locate; as, to place a book on a shelf; to place balls in tennis.
- (n.) To put or set in a particular rank, office, or position; to surround with particular circumstances or relations in life; to appoint to certain station or condition of life; as, in whatever sphere one is placed.
- (n.) To put out at interest; to invest; to loan; as, to place money in a bank.
- (n.) To set; to fix; to repose; as, to place confidence in a friend.
- (n.) To attribute; to ascribe; to set down.