Stuck on a crossword puzzle or Wordle answer?
Enter the word you are trying to solve in the box below, using question marks in place of the letter(s) you don't know.
New! You can also search for definitions and anagrams by typing in a word without any question marks.
Definition for: CARNE
- (n.) A measure for fresh herrings, -- as many as will fill a barrel.
- (n.) A wading bird of the genus Grus, and allied genera, of various species, having a long, straight bill, and long legs and neck.
- (n.) A machine for raising and lowering heavy weights, and, while holding them suspended, transporting them through a limited lateral distance. In one form it consists of a projecting arm or jib of timber or iron, a rotating post or base, and the necessary tackle, windlass, etc.; -- so called from a fancied similarity between its arm and the neck of a crane See Illust. of Derrick.
- (n.) An iron arm with horizontal motion, attached to the side or back of a fireplace, for supporting kettles, etc., over a fire.
- (n.) A siphon, or bent pipe, for drawing liquors out of a cask.
- (n.) A forked post or projecting bracket to support spars, etc., -- generally used in pairs. See Crotch, 2.
- (v. t.) To cause to rise; to raise or lift, as by a crane; -- with up.
- (v. t.) To stretch, as a crane stretches its neck; as, to crane the neck disdainfully.
- (v. i.) to reach forward with head and neck, in order to see better; as, a hunter cranes forward before taking a leap.
- (n.) A pearly substance which lines the interior of many shells, and is most perfect in the mother-of-pearl. [Written also nacker and naker.] See Pearl, and Mother-of-pearl.
- (n.) A prop or shore.
- (n.) A round between the legs of a chair.