- (n.) Receipt.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: CERITE
- (n.) A gastropod shell belonging to the family Cerithiidae; -- so called from its hornlike form.
- (n.) A mineral of a brownish of cherry-red color, commonly massive. It is a hydrous silicate of cerium and allied metals.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To repeat, as something already prepared, written down, committed to memory, or the like; to deliver from a written or printed document, or from recollection; to rehearse; as, to recite the words of an author, or of a deed or covenant.
- (v. t.) To tell over; to go over in particulars; to relate; to narrate; as, to recite past events; to recite the particulars of a voyage.
- (v. t.) To rehearse, as a lesson to an instructor.
- (v. t.) To state in or as a recital. See Recital, 5.
- (v. i.) To repeat, pronounce, or rehearse, as before an audience, something prepared or committed to memory; to rehearse a lesson learned.
- (n.) A recital.
- (n.) A cask whose content is one third of a pipe; that is, forty-two wine gallons; also, a liquid measure of forty-two wine, or thirty-five imperial, gallons.
- (n.) A cask larger than a barrel, and smaller than a hogshead or a puncheon, in which salt provisions, rice, etc., are packed for shipment.
- (n.) The third tone of the scale. See Mediant.
- (n.) A sequence of three playing cards of the same suit. Tierce of ace, king, queen, is called tierce-major.
- (n.) A position in thrusting or parrying in which the wrist and nails are turned downward.
- (n.) The third hour of the day, or nine a. m,; one of the canonical hours; also, the service appointed for that hour.
- (a.) Divided into three equal parts of three different tinctures; -- said of an escutcheon.