Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: CHAFF
- (n.) The glumes or husks of grains and grasses separated from the seed by threshing and winnowing, etc.
- (n.) Anything of a comparatively light and worthless character; the refuse part of anything.
- (n.) Straw or hay cut up fine for the food of cattle.
- (n.) Light jesting talk; banter; raillery.
- (n.) The scales or bracts on the receptacle, which subtend each flower in the heads of many Compositae, as the sunflower.
- (v. i.) To use light, idle language by way of fun or ridicule; to banter.
- (v. t.) To make fun of; to turn into ridicule by addressing in ironical or bantering language; to quiz.