- (a.) Of or pertaining to Chios, an island in the Aegean Sea.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: CHAIN
- (n.) A series of links or rings, usually of metal, connected, or fitted into one another, used for various purposes, as of support, of restraint, of ornament, of the exertion and transmission of mechanical power, etc.
- (n.) That which confines, fetters, or secures, as a chain; a bond; as, the chains of habit.
- (n.) A series of things linked together; or a series of things connected and following each other in succession; as, a chain of mountains; a chain of events or ideas.
- (n.) An instrument which consists of links and is used in measuring land.
- (n.) Iron links bolted to the side of a vessel to bold the dead-eyes connected with the shrouds; also, the channels.
- (n.) The warp threads of a web.
- (v. t.) To fasten, bind, or connect with a chain; to fasten or bind securely, as with a chain; as, to chain a bulldog.
- (v. t.) To keep in slavery; to enslave.
- (v. t.) To unite closely and strongly.
- (v. t.) To measure with the chain.
- (v. t.) To protect by drawing a chain across, as a harbor.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A country in Eastern Asia.
- (n.) China ware, which is the modern popular term for porcelain. See Porcelain.