- (a.) Stiff; precise; rigid.
- (n.) A widely diffused vegetable substance found especially in seeds, bulbs, and tubers, and extracted (as from potatoes, corn, rice, etc.) as a white, glistening, granular or powdery substance, without taste or smell, and giving a very peculiar creaking sound when rubbed between the fingers. It is used as a food, in the production of commercial grape sugar, for stiffening linen in laundries, in making paste, etc.
- (n.) Fig.: A stiff, formal manner; formality.
- (v. t.) To stiffen with starch.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: CHARTS
- Make a chart of; "chart the territory"
- Represent by means of a graph; "chart the data"
- A map designed to assist navigation by air or sea
- A visual display of information
- Plan in detail; "Bush is charting a course to destroy Saddam Hussein"