Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: CHEER
- (n.) The face; the countenance or its expression.
- (n.) Feeling; spirit; state of mind or heart.
- (n.) Gayety; mirth; cheerfulness; animation.
- (n.) That which promotes good spirits or cheerfulness; provisions prepared for a feast; entertainment; as, a table loaded with good cheer.
- (n.) A shout, hurrah, or acclamation, expressing joy enthusiasm, applause, favor, etc.
- (v. i.) To grow cheerful; to become gladsome or joyous; -- usually with up.
- (v. i.) To be in any state or temper of mind.
- (v. i.) To utter a shout or shouts of applause, triumph, etc.
- (v. t.) To cause to rejoice; to gladden; to make cheerful; -- often with up.
- (v. t.) To infuse life, courage, animation, or hope, into; to inspirit; to solace or comfort.
- (v. t.) To salute or applaud with cheers; to urge on by cheers; as, to cheer hounds in a chase.