Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: CHILL
- (a.) Moderately cold; tending to cause shivering; chilly; raw.
- (a.) Affected by cold.
- (a.) Characterized by coolness of manner, feeling, etc.; lacking enthusiasm or warmth; formal; distant; as, a chill reception.
- (a.) Discouraging; depressing; dispiriting.
- (n.) A moderate but disagreeable degree of cold; a disagreeable sensation of coolness, accompanied with shivering.
- (n.) A sensation of cold with convulsive shaking of the body, pinched face, pale skin, and blue lips, caused by undue cooling of the body or by nervous excitement, or forming the precursor of some constitutional disturbance, as of a fever.
- (n.) A check to enthusiasm or warmth of feeling; discouragement; as, a chill comes over an assembly.
- (n.) An iron mold or portion of a mold, serving to cool rapidly, and so to harden, the surface of molten iron brought in contact with it.
- (n.) The hardened part of a casting, as the tread of a car wheel.
- (v. i.) To become surface-hardened by sudden cooling while solidifying; as, some kinds of cast iron chill to a greater depth than others.
- (v. t.) To strike with a chill; to make chilly; to cause to shiver; to affect with cold.
- (v. t.) To check enthusiasm or warmth of feeling of; to depress; to discourage.
- (v. t.) To produce, by sudden cooling, a change of crystallization at or near the surface of, so as to increase the hardness; said of cast iron.