Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: COGNIZANCE
- (n.) Apprehension by the understanding; perception; observation.
- (n.) Recollection; recognition.
- (n.) Jurisdiction, or the power given by law to hear and decide controversies.
- (n.) The hearing a matter judicially.
- (n.) An acknowledgment of a fine of lands and tenements or confession of a thing done.
- (n.) A form of defense in the action of replevin, by which the defendant insists that the goods were lawfully taken, as a distress, by defendant, acting as servant for another.
- (n.) The distinguishing mark worn by an armed knight, usually upon the helmet, and by his retainers and followers: Hence, in general, a badge worn by a retainer or dependent, to indicate the person or party to which he belonged; a token by which a thing may be known.