- (n.) To stop, or fill up, as an opening; to shut; as, to close the eyes; to close a door.
- (n.) To bring together the parts of; to consolidate; as, to close the ranks of an army; -- often used with up.
- (n.) To bring to an end or period; to conclude; to complete; to finish; to end; to consummate; as, to close a bargain; to close a course of instruction.
- (n.) To come or gather around; to inclose; to encompass; to confine.
- (v. i.) To come together; to unite or coalesce, as the parts of a wound, or parts separated.
- (v. i.) To end, terminate, or come to a period; as, the debate closed at six o'clock.
- (v. i.) To grapple; to engage in hand-to-hand fight.
- (n.) The manner of shutting; the union of parts; junction.
- (n.) Conclusion; cessation; ending; end.
- (n.) A grapple in wrestling.
- (n.) The conclusion of a strain of music; cadence.
- (n.) A double bar marking the end.
- (v. t.) An inclosed place; especially, a small field or piece of land surrounded by a wall, hedge, or fence of any kind; -- specifically, the precinct of a cathedral or abbey.
- (v. t.) A narrow passage leading from a street to a court, and the houses within.
- (v. t.) The interest which one may have in a piece of ground, even though it is not inclosed.
- (v. t.) Shut fast; closed; tight; as, a close box.
- (v. t.) Narrow; confined; as, a close alley; close quarters.
- (v. t.) Oppressive; without motion or ventilation; causing a feeling of lassitude; -- said of the air, weather, etc.
- (v. t.) Strictly confined; carefully quarded; as, a close prisoner.
- (v. t.) Out of the way observation; secluded; secret; hidden.
- (v. t.) Disposed to keep secrets; secretive; reticent.
- (v. t.) Having the parts near each other; dense; solid; compact; as applied to bodies; viscous; tenacious; not volatile, as applied to liquids.
- (v. t.) Concise; to the point; as, close reasoning.
- (v. t.) Adjoining; near; either in space; time, or thought; -- often followed by to.
- (v. t.) Short; as, to cut grass or hair close.
- (v. t.) Intimate; familiar; confidential.
- (v. t.) Nearly equal; almost evenly balanced; as, a close vote.
- (v. t.) Difficult to obtain; as, money is close.
- (v. t.) Parsimonious; stingy.
- (v. t.) Adhering strictly to a standard or original; exact; strict; as, a close translation.
- (v. t.) Accurate; careful; precise; also, attentive; undeviating; strict; not wandering; as, a close observer.
- (v. t.) Uttered with a relatively contracted opening of the mouth, as certain sounds of e and o in French, Italian, and German; -- opposed to open.
- (adv.) In a close manner.
- (adv.) Secretly; darkly.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: COLES
- Coarse curly-leafed cabbage
- A hardy cabbage with coarse curly leaves that do not form a head
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) School.
- (n.) A plain block or plinth forming a low pedestal; any base; especially, the base of a statue, column, or the like. See Plinth.
- (n.) A plain face or plinth at the lower part of a wall.