Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: COMMISSION
- (n.) The act of committing, doing, or performing; the act of perpetrating.
- (n.) The act of intrusting; a charge; instructions as to how a trust shall be executed.
- (n.) The duty or employment intrusted to any person or persons; a trust; a charge.
- (n.) A formal written warrant or authority, granting certain powers or privileges and authorizing or commanding the performance of certain duties.
- (n.) A certificate conferring military or naval rank and authority; as, a colonel's commission.
- (n.) A company of persons joined in the performance of some duty or the execution of some trust; as, the interstate commerce commission.
- (n.) The acting under authority of, or on account of, another.
- (n.) The thing to be done as agent for another; as, I have three commissions for the city.
- (n.) The brokerage or allowance made to a factor or agent for transacting business for another; as, a commission of ten per cent on sales. See Del credere.
- (v. t.) To give a commission to; to furnish with a commission; to empower or authorize; as, to commission persons to perform certain acts; to commission an officer.
- (v. t.) To send out with a charge or commission.