Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: CONE
- (n.) A solid of the form described by the revolution of a right-angled triangle about one of the sides adjacent to the right angle; -- called also a right cone. More generally, any solid having a vertical point and bounded by a surface which is described by a straight line always passing through that vertical point; a solid having a circle for its base and tapering to a point or vertex.
- (n.) Anything shaped more or less like a mathematical cone; as, a volcanic cone, a collection of scoriae around the crater of a volcano, usually heaped up in a conical form.
- (n.) The fruit or strobile of the Coniferae, as of the pine, fir, cedar, and cypress. It is composed of woody scales, each one of which has one or two seeds at its base.
- (n.) A shell of the genus Conus, having a conical form.
- (v. t.) To render cone-shaped; to bevel like the circular segment of a cone; as, to cone the tires of car wheels.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (adv.) By limitation to the number one; for one time; not twice nor any number of times more than one.
- (adv.) At some one period of time; -- used indefinitely.
- (adv.) At any one time; -- often nearly equivalent to ever, if ever, or whenever; as, once kindled, it may not be quenched.