Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: COUGH
- (v. i.) To expel air, or obstructing or irritating matter, from the lungs or air passages, in a noisy and violent manner.
- (v. i.) A sudden, noisy, and violent expulsion of air from the chest, caused by irritation in the air passages, or by the reflex action of nervous or gastric disorder, etc.
- (v. i.) The more or less frequent repetition of coughing, constituting a symptom of disease.
- (v. t.) To expel from the lungs or air passages by coughing; -- followed by up; as, to cough up phlegm.
- (v. t.) To bring to a specified state by coughing; as, he coughed himself hoarse.