- (n.) See Sourkrout.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: COURT
- (n.) An inclosed space; a courtyard; an uncovered area shut in by the walls of a building, or by different building; also, a space opening from a street and nearly surrounded by houses; a blind alley.
- (n.) The residence of a sovereign, prince, nobleman, or ether dignitary; a palace.
- (n.) The collective body of persons composing the retinue of a sovereign or person high in authority; all the surroundings of a sovereign in his regal state.
- (n.) Any formal assembling of the retinue of a sovereign; as, to hold a court.
- (n.) Attention directed to a person in power; conduct or address designed to gain favor; courtliness of manners; civility; compliment; flattery.
- (n.) The hall, chamber, or place, where justice is administered.
- (n.) The persons officially assembled under authority of law, at the appropriate time and place, for the administration of justice; an official assembly, legally met together for the transaction of judicial business; a judge or judges sitting for the hearing or trial of causes.
- (n.) A tribunal established for the administration of justice.
- (n.) The judge or judges; as distinguished from the counsel or jury, or both.
- (n.) The session of a judicial assembly.
- (n.) Any jurisdiction, civil, military, or ecclesiastical.
- (n.) A place arranged for playing the game of tennis; also, one of the divisions of a tennis court.
- (v. i.) To play the lover; to woo; as, to go courting.
- (v. t.) To endeavor to gain the favor of by attention or flattery; to try to ingratiate one's self with.
- (v. t.) To endeavor to gain the affections of; to seek in marriage; to woo.
- (v. t.) To attempt to gain; to solicit; to seek.
- (v. t.) To invite by attractions; to allure; to attract.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!