- (v. i.) To wrinkle the brows, as in frowning or displeasure; to put on a frowning look; to look sour, sullen, severe, or angry.
- (v. i.) Hence, to look gloomy, dark, or threatening; to lower.
- (v. t.) To look at or repel with a scowl or a frown.
- (v. t.) To express by a scowl; as, to scowl defiance.
- (n.) The wrinkling of the brows or face in frowing; the expression of displeasure, sullenness, or discontent in the countenance; an angry frown.
- (n.) Hence, gloom; dark or threatening aspect.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: COWLS
- A loose hood or hooded robe (as worn by a monk)
- Protective covering consisting of a metal part that covers the engine; "there are powerful engines under the hoods of new cars"; "the mechanic removed the cowling in order to repair the plane's engine"
- Cover with or as with a cowl; "cowl the boys and veil the girls"