Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: CRAB
- (a.) A crab apple; -- so named from its harsh taste.
- (a.) A cudgel made of the wood of the crab tree; a crabstick.
- (a.) A movable winch or windlass with powerful gearing, used with derricks, etc.
- (a.) A form of windlass, or geared capstan, for hauling ships into dock, etc.
- (a.) A machine used in ropewalks to stretch the yarn.
- (a.) A claw for anchoring a portable machine.
- (a.) Sour; rough; austere.
- (n.) One of the brachyuran Crustacea. They are mostly marine, and usually have a broad, short body, covered with a strong shell or carapace. The abdomen is small and curled up beneath the body.
- (n.) The zodiacal constellation Cancer.
- (v. i.) To drift sidewise or to leeward, as a vessel.
- (v. t.) To make sour or morose; to embitter.
- (v. t.) To beat with a crabstick.