Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: CRANK
- (n.) A bent portion of an axle, or shaft, or an arm keyed at right angles to the end of a shaft, by which motion is imparted to or received from it; also used to change circular into reciprocating motion, or reciprocating into circular motion. See Bell crank.
- (n.) Any bend, turn, or winding, as of a passage.
- (n.) A twist or turn in speech; a conceit consisting in a change of the form or meaning of a word.
- (n.) A twist or turn of the mind; caprice; whim; crotchet; also, a fit of temper or passion.
- (n.) A person full of crotchets; one given to fantastic or impracticable projects; one whose judgment is perverted in respect to a particular matter.
- (n.) A sick person; an invalid.
- (n.) Sick; infirm.
- (n.) Liable to careen or be overset, as a ship when she is too narrow, or has not sufficient ballast, or is loaded too high, to carry full sail.
- (n.) Full of spirit; brisk; lively; sprightly; overconfident; opinionated.
- (n.) To run with a winding course; to double; to crook; to wind and turn.