- (n.) An instrument, formerly much used for showing the time of day from the shadow of a style or gnomon on a graduated arc or surface; esp., a sundial; but there are lunar and astral dials. The style or gnomon is usually parallel to the earth's axis, but the dial plate may be either horizontal or vertical.
- (n.) The graduated face of a timepiece, on which the time of day is shown by pointers or hands.
- (n.) A miner's compass.
- (v. t.) To measure with a dial.
- (v. t.) To survey with a dial.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: DALI
- Surrealist Spanish painter (1904-1989)
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (imp. & p. p.) of Lay.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Lay
- (n.) A celebrated Greek epic poem, in twenty-four books, on the destruction of Ilium, the ancient Troy. The Iliad is ascribed to Homer.