Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: DAM
- (n.) A female parent; -- used of beasts, especially of quadrupeds; sometimes applied in contempt to a human mother.
- (n.) A kind or crowned piece in the game of draughts.
- (n.) A barrier to prevent the flow of a liquid; esp., a bank of earth, or wall of any kind, as of masonry or wood, built across a water course, to confine and keep back flowing water.
- (n.) A firebrick wall, or a stone, which forms the front of the hearth of a blast furnace.
- (v. t.) To obstruct or restrain the flow of, by a dam; to confine by constructing a dam, as a stream of water; -- generally used with in or up.
- (v. t.) To shut up; to stop up; to close; to restrain.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Macular degeneration that is age-related
- (n.) A slattern.
- (n.) The name of a female fairy, esp. the queen of the fairies; and hence, sometimes, any fairy.
- P. p. of Made.
- (superl.) Disordered in intellect; crazy; insane.
- (superl.) Excited beyond self-control or the restraint of reason; inflamed by violent or uncontrollable desire, passion, or appetite; as, to be mad with terror, lust, or hatred; mad against political reform.
- (superl.) Proceeding from, or indicating, madness; expressing distraction; prompted by infatuation, fury, or extreme rashness.
- (superl.) Extravagant; immoderate.
- (superl.) Furious with rage, terror, or disease; -- said of the lower animals; as, a mad bull; esp., having hydrophobia; rabid; as, a mad dog.
- (superl.) Angry; out of patience; vexed; as, to get mad at a person.
- (superl.) Having impaired polarity; -- applied to a compass needle.
- (v. t.) To make mad or furious; to madden.
- (v. i.) To be mad; to go mad; to rave. See Madding.
- (n.) An earthworm.