- An important port of Yemen; located on the Gulf of Aden; its strategic location has made it a major trading center of southern Arabia since ancient times
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: DEAN
- (n.) A dignitary or presiding officer in certain ecclesiastical and lay bodies; esp., an ecclesiastical dignitary, subordinate to a bishop.
- (n.) The collegiate officer in the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, England, who, besides other duties, has regard to the moral condition of the college.
- (n.) The head or presiding officer in the faculty of some colleges or universities.
- (n.) A registrar or secretary of the faculty in a department of a college, as in a medical, or theological, or scientific department.
- (n.) The chief or senior of a company on occasion of ceremony; as, the dean of the diplomatic corps; -- so called by courtesy.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A native, or a naturalized inhabitant, of Denmark.