- (n.) An article of furniture to sleep or take rest in or on; a couch. Specifically: A sack or mattress, filled with some soft material, in distinction from the bedstead on which it is placed (as, a feather bed), or this with the bedclothes added. In a general sense, any thing or place used for sleeping or reclining on or in, as a quantity of hay, straw, leaves, or twigs.
- (n.) (Used as the symbol of matrimony) Marriage.
- (n.) A plat or level piece of ground in a garden, usually a little raised above the adjoining ground.
- (n.) A mass or heap of anything arranged like a bed; as, a bed of ashes or coals.
- (n.) The bottom of a watercourse, or of any body of water; as, the bed of a river.
- (n.) A layer or seam, or a horizontal stratum between layers; as, a bed of coal, iron, etc.
- (n.) See Gun carriage, and Mortar bed.
- (n.) The horizontal surface of a building stone; as, the upper and lower beds.
- (n.) A course of stone or brick in a wall.
- (n.) The place or material in which a block or brick is laid.
- (n.) The lower surface of a brick, slate, or tile.
- (n.) The foundation or the more solid and fixed part or framing of a machine; or a part on which something is laid or supported; as, the bed of an engine.
- (n.) The superficial earthwork, or ballast, of a railroad.
- (n.) The flat part of the press, on which the form is laid.
- (v. t.) To place in a bed.
- (v. t.) To make partaker of one's bed; to cohabit with.
- (v. t.) To furnish with a bed or bedding.
- (v. t.) To plant or arrange in beds; to set, or cover, as in a bed of soft earth; as, to bed the roots of a plant in mold.
- (v. t.) To lay or put in any hollow place, or place of rest and security, surrounded or inclosed; to embed; to furnish with or place upon a bed or foundation; as, to bed a stone; it was bedded on a rock.
- (v. t.) To dress or prepare the surface of stone) so as to serve as a bed.
- (v. t.) To lay flat; to lay in order; to place in a horizontal or recumbent position.
- (v. i.) To go to bed; to cohabit.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: DEB
- A young woman making her debut into society