- A calcareous material harder and denser than bone that comprises the bulk of a tooth
- Bone (calcified tissue) surrounding the pulp cavity of a tooth
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To notch; to jag; to cut into points like a row of teeth; as, to indent the edge of paper.
- (v. t.) To dent; to stamp or to press in; to impress; as, indent a smooth surface with a hammer; to indent wax with a stamp.
- (v. t.) To bind out by indenture or contract; to indenture; to apprentice; as, to indent a young man to a shoemaker; to indent a servant.
- (v. t.) To begin (a line or lines) at a greater or less distance from the margin; as, to indent the first line of a paragraph one em; to indent the second paragraph two ems more than the first. See Indentation, and Indention.
- (v. t.) To make an order upon; to draw upon, as for military stores.
- (v. i.) To be cut, notched, or dented.
- (v. i.) To crook or turn; to wind in and out; to zigzag.
- (v. i.) To contract; to bargain or covenant.
- (n.) A cut or notch in the man gin of anything, or a recess like a notch.
- (n.) A stamp; an impression.
- (n.) A certificate, or intended certificate, issued by the government of the United States at the close of the Revolution, for the principal or interest of the public debt.
- (n.) A requisition or order for supplies, sent to the commissariat of an army.
- (v. t.) To stretch' to extend; to distend.
- (v. t.) To strain; to make tense.
- (v. t.) To intensify; to strengthen.
- (v. t.) To apply with energy.
- (v. t.) To bend or turn; to direct, as one's course or journey.
- (v. t.) To fix the mind on; to attend to; to take care of; to superintend; to regard.
- (v. t.) To fix the mind upon (something to be accomplished); to be intent upon; to mean; to design; to plan; to purpose; -- often followed by an infinitely with to, or a dependent clause with that; as, he intends to go; he intends that she shall remain.
- (v. t.) To design mechanically or artistically; to fashion; to mold.
- (v. t.) To pretend; to counterfeit; to simulate.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Tin
- (a.) Covered, or plated, with tin; as, a tinned roof; tinned iron.
- (a.) Packed in tin cases; canned; as, tinned meats.