Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: DIVAN
- (n.) A book; esp., a collection of poems written by one author; as, the divan of Hafiz.
- (n.) In Turkey and other Oriental countries: A council of state; a royal court. Also used by the poets for a grand deliberative council or assembly.
- (n.) A chief officer of state.
- (n.) A saloon or hall where a council is held, in Oriental countries, the state reception room in places, and in the houses of the richer citizens. Cushions on the floor or on benches are ranged round the room.
- (n.) A cushioned seat, or a large, low sofa or couch; especially, one fixed to its place, and not movable.
- (n.) A coffee and smoking saloon.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) An article of food; provisions; food; victuals; -- used chiefly in the plural.