- (a. & n.) Good.
- (n.) A being conceived of as possessing supernatural power, and to be propitiated by sacrifice, worship, etc.; a divinity; a deity; an object of worship; an idol.
- (n.) The Supreme Being; the eternal and infinite Spirit, the Creator, and the Sovereign of the universe; Jehovah.
- (n.) A person or thing deified and honored as the chief good; an object of supreme regard.
- (n.) Figuratively applied to one who wields great or despotic power.
- (v. t.) To treat as a god; to idolize.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: DOG
- (n.) A quadruped of the genus Canis, esp. the domestic dog (C. familiaris).
- (n.) A mean, worthless fellow; a wretch.
- (n.) A fellow; -- used humorously or contemptuously; as, a sly dog; a lazy dog.
- (n.) One of the two constellations, Canis Major and Canis Minor, or the Greater Dog and the Lesser Dog. Canis Major contains the Dog Star (Sirius).
- (n.) An iron for holding wood in a fireplace; a firedog; an andiron.
- (n.) A grappling iron, with a claw or claws, for fastening into wood or other heavy articles, for the purpose of raising or moving them.
- (n.) An iron with fangs fastening a log in a saw pit, or on the carriage of a sawmill.
- (n.) A piece in machinery acting as a catch or clutch; especially, the carrier of a lathe, also, an adjustable stop to change motion, as in a machine tool.
- (v. t.) To hunt or track like a hound; to follow insidiously or indefatigably; to chase with a dog or dogs; to worry, as if by dogs; to hound with importunity.