Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: DOUBT
- (v. i.) To waver in opinion or judgment; to be in uncertainty as to belief respecting anything; to hesitate in belief; to be undecided as to the truth of the negative or the affirmative proposition; to b e undetermined.
- (v. i.) To suspect; to fear; to be apprehensive.
- (v. i.) A fluctuation of mind arising from defect of knowledge or evidence; uncertainty of judgment or mind; unsettled state of opinion concerning the reality of an event, or the truth of an assertion, etc.; hesitation.
- (v. i.) Uncertainty of condition.
- (v. i.) Suspicion; fear; apprehension; dread.
- (v. i.) Difficulty expressed or urged for solution; point unsettled; objection.
- (v. t.) To question or hold questionable; to withhold assent to; to hesitate to believe, or to be inclined not to believe; to withhold confidence from; to distrust; as, I have heard the story, but I doubt the truth of it.
- (v. t.) To suspect; to fear; to be apprehensive of.
- (v. t.) To fill with fear; to affright.