Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: DOWNS
- Improve or perfect by pruning or polishing;
- (American football) a complete play to advance the football; "you have four downs to gain ten yards"
- Bring down or defeat (an opponent)
- Soft fine feathers
- Eat immoderately; "Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal"
- Fine soft dense hair (as the fine short hair of cattle or deer or the wool of sheep or the undercoat of certain dogs)
- Drink down entirely; "He downed three martinis before dinner"; "She killed a bottle of brandy that night"; "They popped a few beer after work"
- (usually plural) a rolling treeless highland with little soil
- Cause to come or go down; "The policeman downed the heavily armed suspect"; "The mugger knocked down the old lady after she refused to hand over her wallet"
- English physician who first described Down's syndrome (1828-1896)
- Shoot at and force to come down; "the enemy landed several of our aircraft