- (v. t.) To take upon one's self; to engage in; to enter upon; to take in hand; to begin to perform; to set about; to attempt.
- (v. t.) Specifically, to take upon one's self solemnly or expressly; to lay one's self under obligation, or to enter into stipulations, to perform or to execute; to covenant; to contract.
- (v. t.) Hence, to guarantee; to promise; to affirm.
- (v. t.) To assume, as a character.
- (v. t.) To engage with; to attack.
- (v. t.) To have knowledge of; to hear.
- (v. t.) To take or have the charge of.
- (v. i.) To take upon one's self, or assume, any business, duty, or province.
- (v. i.) To venture; to hazard.
- (v. i.) To give a promise or guarantee; to be surety.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.