- (n.) One who, or that which, adds; esp., a machine for adding numbers.
- (n.) A serpent.
- (n.) A small venomous serpent of the genus Vipera. The common European adder is the Vipera (/ Pelias) berus. The puff adders of Africa are species of Clotho.
- (n.) In America, the term is commonly applied to several harmless snakes, as the milk adder, puffing adder, etc.
- (n.) Same as Sea Adder.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: DREAD
- (a.) Exciting great fear or apprehension; causing terror; frightful; dreadful.
- (a.) Inspiring with reverential fear; awful' venerable; as, dread sovereign; dread majesty; dread tribunal.
- (n.) Great fear in view of impending evil; fearful apprehension of danger; anticipatory terror.
- (n.) Reverential or respectful fear; awe.
- (n.) An object of terrified apprehension.
- (n.) A person highly revered.
- (n.) Fury; dreadfulness.
- (n.) Doubt; as, out of dread.
- (v. i.) To be in dread, or great fear.
- (v. t.) To fear in a great degree; to regard, or look forward to, with terrific apprehension.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (p. p.) of Dare
- Imp. of Read, Rede.