Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: DRESS
- (n.) That which is used as the covering or ornament of the body; clothes; garments; habit; apparel.
- (n.) A lady's gown; as, silk or a velvet dress.
- (n.) Attention to apparel, or skill in adjusting it.
- (n.) The system of furrows on the face of a millstone.
- (v. i.) To arrange one's self in due position in a line of soldiers; -- the word of command to form alignment in ranks; as, Right, dress!
- (v. i.) To clothe or apparel one's self; to put on one's garments; to pay particular regard to dress; as, to dress quickly.
- (v. t.) To direct; to put right or straight; to regulate; to order.
- (v. t.) To arrange in exact continuity of line, as soldiers; commonly to adjust to a straight line and at proper distance; to align; as, to dress the ranks.
- (v. t.) To treat methodically with remedies, bandages, or curative appliances, as a sore, an ulcer, a wound, or a wounded or diseased part.
- (v. t.) To adjust; to put in good order; to arrange; specifically: (a) To prepare for use; to fit for any use; to render suitable for an intended purpose; to get ready; as, to dress a slain animal; to dress meat; to dress leather or cloth; to dress or trim a lamp; to dress a garden; to dress a horse, by currying and rubbing; to dress grain, by cleansing it; in mining and metallurgy, to dress ores, by sorting and separating them.
- (v. t.) To cut to proper dimensions, or give proper shape to, as to a tool by hammering; also, to smooth or finish.
- (v. t.) To put in proper condition by appareling, as the body; to put clothes upon; to apparel; to invest with garments or rich decorations; to clothe; to deck.
- (v. t.) To break and train for use, as a horse or other animal.