- (n.) The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to rise at the equinox, or the corresponding point on the earth; that one of the four cardinal points of the compass which is in a direction at right angles to that of north and south, and which is toward the right hand of one who faces the north; the point directly opposite to the west.
- (n.) The eastern parts of the earth; the regions or countries which lie east of Europe; the orient. In this indefinite sense, the word is applied to Asia Minor, Syria, Chaldea, Persia, India, China, etc.; as, the riches of the East; the diamonds and pearls of the East; the kings of the East.
- (n.) Formerly, the part of the United States east of the Alleghany Mountains, esp. the Eastern, or New England, States; now, commonly, the whole region east of the Mississippi River, esp. that which is north of Maryland and the Ohio River; -- usually with the definite article; as, the commerce of the East is not independent of the agriculture of the West.
- (a.) Toward the rising sun; or toward the point where the sun rises when in the equinoctial; as, the east gate; the east border; the east side; the east wind is a wind that blows from the east.
- (adv.) Eastward.
- (v. i.) To move toward the east; to veer from the north or south toward the east; to orientate.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: EATS
- Cause to deteriorate due to the action of water, air, or an acid; "The acid corroded the metal"; "The steady dripping of water rusted the metal stopper in the sink"
- Use up (resources or materials);
- Eat a meal; take a meal; "We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls"; "I didn't eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation"
- Take in solid food; "She was eating a banana"; "What did you eat for dinner last night?"
- Take in food; used of animals only; "This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat"; "What do whales eat?"
- Informal terms for a meal
- Worry or cause anxiety in a persistent way; "What's eating you?"
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To satisfy the desire or appetite of; to satiate; to glut; to surfeit.
- Imp. of Sit.
- Of Sit
- (n.) The place or thing upon which one sits; hence; anything made to be sat in or upon, as a chair, bench, stool, saddle, or the like.
- (n.) The place occupied by anything, or where any person or thing is situated, resides, or abides; a site; an abode, a station; a post; a situation.
- (n.) That part of a thing on which a person sits; as, the seat of a chair or saddle; the seat of a pair of pantaloons.
- (n.) A sitting; a right to sit; regular or appropriate place of sitting; as, a seat in a church; a seat for the season in the opera house.
- (n.) Posture, or way of sitting, on horseback.
- (n.) A part or surface on which another part or surface rests; as, a valve seat.
- (v. t.) To place on a seat; to cause to sit down; as, to seat one's self.
- (v. t.) To cause to occupy a post, site, situation, or the like; to station; to establish; to fix; to settle.
- (v. t.) To assign a seat to, or the seats of; to give a sitting to; as, to seat a church, or persons in a church.
- (v. t.) To fix; to set firm.
- (v. t.) To settle; to plant with inhabitants; as to seat a country.
- (v. t.) To put a seat or bottom in; as, to seat a chair.
- (v. i.) To rest; to lie down.
- (n.) Any slender, more or less rigid, bristlelike organ or part; as the hairs of a caterpillar, the slender spines of a crustacean, the hairlike processes of a protozoan, the bristles or stiff hairs on the leaves of some plants, or the pedicel of the capsule of a moss.
- (n.) One of the movable chitinous spines or hooks of an annelid. They usually arise in clusters from muscular capsules, and are used in locomotion and for defense. They are very diverse in form.
- (n.) One of the spinelike feathers at the base of the bill of certain birds.
- A light midafternoon meal of tea and sandwiches or cakes; "an Englishman would interrupt a war to have his afternoon tea"
- Dried leaves of the tea shrub; used to make tea; "the store shelves held many different kinds of tea"; "they threw the tea into Boston harbor"
- A beverage made by steeping tea leaves in water; "iced tea is a cooling drink"
- A reception or party at which tea is served; "we met at the Dean's tea for newcomers"
- A tropical evergreen shrub or small tree extensively cultivated in e.g. China and Japan and India; source of tea leaves; "tea has fragrant white flowers"