- (n.) A point equally distant from the extremities of a line, figure, or body, or from all parts of the circumference of a circle; the middle point or place.
- (n.) The middle or central portion of anything.
- (n.) A principal or important point of concentration; the nucleus around which things are gathered or to which they tend; an object of attention, action, or force; as, a center of attaction.
- (n.) The earth.
- (n.) Those members of a legislative assembly (as in France) who support the existing government. They sit in the middle of the legislative chamber, opposite the presiding officer, between the conservatives or monarchists, who sit on the right of the speaker, and the radicals or advanced republicans who occupy the seats on his left, See Right, and Left.
- (n.) A temporary structure upon which the materials of a vault or arch are supported in position until the work becomes self-supporting.
- (n.) One of the two conical steel pins, in a lathe, etc., upon which the work is held, and about which it revolves.
- (n.) A conical recess, or indentation, in the end of a shaft or other work, to receive the point of a center, on which the work can turn, as in a lathe.
- (v. i.) Alt. of Centre
- (v. t.) Alt. of Centre
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. i.) To be placed in a center; to be central.
- (v. i.) To be collected to a point; to be concentrated; to rest on, or gather about, as a center.
- (v. t.) To place or fix in the center or on a central point.
- (v. t.) To collect to a point; to concentrate.
- (v. t.) To form a recess or indentation for the reception of a center.
- (n. & v.) See Center.
- (a.) Of late origin, existence, or occurrence; lately come; not of remote date, antiquated style, or the like; not already known, familiar, worn out, trite, etc.; fresh; novel; new; modern; as, recent news.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the present or existing epoch; as, recent shells.
- (n.) A small insectivore (Centetes ecaudatus), native of Madagascar, but introduced also into the islands of Bourbon and Mauritius; -- called also tanrec. The name is applied to other allied genera. See Tendrac.