- (n.) A minute portion; one of the small parts; a particular; an item; -- used chiefly in the plural; as, the details of a scheme or transaction.
- (n.) A narrative which relates minute points; an account which dwells on particulars.
- (n.) The selection for a particular service of a person or a body of men; hence, the person or the body of men so selected.
- (n.) To relate in particulars; to particularize; to report minutely and distinctly; to enumerate; to specify; as, he detailed all the facts in due order.
- (n.) To tell off or appoint for a particular service, as an officer, a troop, or a squadron.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To expand; to distend; to enlarge or extend in all directions; to swell; -- opposed to contract; as, the air dilates the lungs; air is dilated by increase of heat.
- (v. t.) To enlarge upon; to relate at large; to tell copiously or diffusely.
- (v. i.) To grow wide; to expand; to swell or extend in all directions.
- (v. i.) To speak largely and copiously; to dwell in narration; to enlarge; -- with on or upon.
- (a.) Extensive; expanded.
- (a.) Having a tail; having (such) a tail or (so many) tails; -- chiefly used in composition; as, bobtailed, longtailed, etc.