- (adv.) Also; as an additional article.
- (n.) An article; a separate particular in an account; as, the items in a bill.
- (n.) A hint; an innuendo.
- (n.) A short article in a newspaper; a paragraph; as, an item concerning the weather.
- (v. t.) To make a note or memorandum of.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: EMIT
- (v. t.) To send forth; to throw or give out; to cause to issue; to give vent to; to eject; to discharge; as, fire emits heat and smoke; boiling water emits steam; the sun emits light.
- (v. t.) To issue forth, as an order or decree; to print and send into circulation, as notes or bills of credit.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A minute arachnid, of the order Acarina, of which there are many species; as, the cheese mite, sugar mite, harvest mite, etc. See Acarina.
- (n.) A small coin formerly circulated in England, rated at about a third of a farthing. The name is also applied to a small coin used in Palestine in the time of Christ.
- (n.) A small weight; one twentieth of a grain.
- (n.) Anything very small; a minute object; a very little quantity or particle.
- (n.) Duration, considered independently of any system of measurement or any employment of terms which designate limited portions thereof.
- (n.) A particular period or part of duration, whether past, present, or future; a point or portion of duration; as, the time was, or has been; the time is, or will be.
- (n.) The period at which any definite event occurred, or person lived; age; period; era; as, the Spanish Armada was destroyed in the time of Queen Elizabeth; -- often in the plural; as, ancient times; modern times.
- (n.) The duration of one's life; the hours and days which a person has at his disposal.
- (n.) A proper time; a season; an opportunity.
- (n.) Hour of travail, delivery, or parturition.
- (n.) Performance or occurrence of an action or event, considered with reference to repetition; addition of a number to itself; repetition; as, to double cloth four times; four times four, or sixteen.
- (n.) The present life; existence in this world as contrasted with immortal life; definite, as contrasted with infinite, duration.
- (n.) Tense.
- (n.) The measured duration of sounds; measure; tempo; rate of movement; rhythmical division; as, common or triple time; the musician keeps good time.
- (v. t.) To appoint the time for; to bring, begin, or perform at the proper season or time; as, he timed his appearance rightly.
- (v. t.) To regulate as to time; to accompany, or agree with, in time of movement.
- (v. t.) To ascertain or record the time, duration, or rate of; as, to time the speed of horses, or hours for workmen.
- (v. t.) To measure, as in music or harmony.
- (v. i.) To keep or beat time; to proceed or move in time.
- (v. i.) To pass time; to delay.