- An opening through which fluid is admitted to a tube or container
- An arm off of a larger body of water (often between rocky headlands)
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: ENLIST
- (v. i.) To enroll and bind one's self for military or naval service; as, he enlisted in the regular army; the men enlisted for the war.
- (v. i.) To enter heartily into a cause, as if enrolled.
- (v. t.) To enter on a list; to enroll; to register.
- (v. t.) To engage for military or naval service, the name being entered on a list or register; as, to enlist men.
- (v. t.) To secure the support and aid of; to employ in advancing interest; as, to enlist persons in the cause of truth, or in a charitable enterprise.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. i.) To give close attention with the purpose of hearing; to give ear; to hearken; to attend.
- (v. i.) To give heed; to yield to advice; to follow admonition; to obey.
- (v. t.) To attend to.
- (a.) Free from sound or noise; absolutely still; perfectly quiet.
- (a.) Not speaking; indisposed to talk; speechless; mute; taciturn; not loquacious; not talkative.
- (a.) Keeping at rest; inactive; calm; undisturbed; as, the wind is silent.
- (a.) Not pronounced; having no sound; quiescent; as, e is silent in "fable."
- (a.) Having no effect; not operating; inefficient.
- (n.) That which is silent; a time of silence.
- (n.) A shining material used for ornamental purposes; especially, a very thin, gauzelike cloth with much gold or silver woven into it; also, very thin metal overlaid with a thin coating of gold or silver, brass foil, or the like.
- (n.) Something shining and gaudy; something superficially shining and showy, or having a false luster, and more gay than valuable.
- (a.) Showy to excess; gaudy; specious; superficial.
- (v. t.) To adorn with tinsel; to deck out with cheap but showy ornaments; to make gaudy.