- (n.) a gutter.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: ERGOT
- (n.) A diseased condition of rye and other cereals, in which the grains become black, and often spur-shaped. It is caused by a parasitic fungus, Claviceps purpurea.
- (n.) The mycelium or spawn of this fungus infecting grains of rye and wheat. It is a powerful remedial agent, and also a dangerous poison, and is used as a means of hastening childbirth, and to arrest bleeding.
- (n.) A stub, like soft horn, about the size of a chestnut, situated behind and below the pastern joint.
- (n.) See 2d Calcar, 3 (b).
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) A groat.
- English physician who in retirement compiled a well-known thesaurus (1779-1869)