- (v. t.) To make rough or uneven.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To disunite; to divide; to disconnect; to sever; to part in any manner.
- (v. t.) To come between; to keep apart by occupying the space between; to lie between; as, the Mediterranean Sea separates Europe and Africa.
- (v. t.) To set apart; to select from among others, as for a special use or service.
- (v. i.) To part; to become disunited; to be disconnected; to withdraw from one another; as, the family separated.
- (p. a.) Divided from another or others; disjoined; disconnected; separated; -- said of things once connected.
- (p. a.) Unconnected; not united or associated; distinct; -- said of things that have not been connected.
- (p. a.) Disunited from the body; disembodied; as, a separate spirit; the separate state of souls.