- (n.) A presbyter elder; a minister
- (n.) One who is authorized to consecrate the host and to say Mass; but especially, one of the lowest order possessing this power.
- (n.) A presbyter; one who belongs to the intermediate order between bishop and deacon. He is authorized to perform all ministerial services except those of ordination and confirmation.
- (n.) One who officiates at the altar, or performs the rites of sacrifice; one who acts as a mediator between men and the divinity or the gods in any form of religion; as, Buddhist priests.
- (v. t.) To ordain as priest.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: ESPRIT
- (n.) Spirit.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- Superlative of ripe: the most ripe
- Most mature
- (n.) A spirit; a soul; a shade; also, an apparition. See Spright.
- (n.) An elf; a fairy; a goblin.
- (n.) The green woodpecker, or yaffle.
- (n.) A line, or long, narrow division of anything of a different color or structure from the ground; hence, any linear variation of color or structure; as, a stripe, or streak, of red on a green ground; a raised stripe.
- (n.) A pattern produced by arranging the warp threads in sets of alternating colors, or in sets presenting some other contrast of appearance.
- (n.) A strip, or long, narrow piece attached to something of a different color; as, a red or blue stripe sewed upon a garment.
- (n.) A stroke or blow made with a whip, rod, scourge, or the like, such as usually leaves a mark.
- (n.) A long, narrow discoloration of the skin made by the blow of a lash, rod, or the like.
- (n.) Color indicating a party or faction; hence, distinguishing characteristic; sign; likeness; sort; as, persons of the same political stripe.
- (n.) The chevron on the coat of a noncommissioned officer.
- (v. t.) To make stripes upon; to form with lines of different colors or textures; to variegate with stripes.
- (v. t.) To strike; to lash.