- Any of various lithe-bodied roundheaded fissiped mammals, many with retractile claws
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: FIELD
- (n.) Cleared land; land suitable for tillage or pasture; cultivated ground; the open country.
- (n.) A piece of land of considerable size; esp., a piece inclosed for tillage or pasture.
- (n.) A place where a battle is fought; also, the battle itself.
- (n.) An open space; an extent; an expanse.
- (n.) Any blank space or ground on which figures are drawn or projected.
- (n.) The space covered by an optical instrument at one view.
- (n.) The whole surface of an escutcheon; also, so much of it is shown unconcealed by the different bearings upon it. See Illust. of Fess, where the field is represented as gules (red), while the fess is argent (silver).
- (n.) An unresticted or favorable opportunity for action, operation, or achievement; province; room.
- (n.) A collective term for all the competitors in any outdoor contest or trial, or for all except the favorites in the betting.
- (n.) That part of the grounds reserved for the players which is outside of the diamond; -- called also outfield.
- (v. i.) To take the field.
- (v. i.) To stand out in the field, ready to catch, stop, or throw the ball.
- (v. t.) To catch, stop, throw, etc. (the ball), as a fielder.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (imp. & p. p.) of File