- Come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect; "Your comments may backfire and cause you a lot of trouble"
- A miscalculation that recoils on its maker
- A fire that is set intentionally in order to slow an approaching forest fire or grassfire by clearing a burned area in its path
- A loud noise made by the explosion of fuel in the manifold or exhaust of an internal combustion engine
- The backward escape of gases and unburned gunpowder after a gun is fired
- Set a controlled fire to halt an advancing forest to prairie fire
- Emit a loud noise as a result of undergoing a backfire; "My old car backfires all the time"
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: FIREBACK
- (n.) One of several species of pheasants of the genus Euplocamus, having the lower back a bright, fiery red. They inhabit Southern Asia and the East Indies.