- A sudden uncontrollable attack; "a paroxysm of giggling"; "a fit of coughing"; "convulsions of laughter"
- Be the right size or shape; fit correctly or as desired; "This piece won't fit into the puzzle"
- A display of bad temper; "he had a fit"; "she threw a tantrum"; "he made a scene"
- Satisfy a condition or restriction; "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
- Be agreeable or acceptable to; "This suits my needs"
- Conform to some shape or size; "How does this shirt fit?"
- Insert or adjust several objects or people; "Can you fit the toy into the box?"; "This man can't fit himself into our work environment"
- Make fit; "fit a dress"; "He fitted other pieces of paper to his cut-out"
- Make correspond or harmonize; "Match my sweater"
- A sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason); "a burst of applause"; "a fit of housecleaning"
- Provide with (something) usually for a
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: FIST
- (n.) The hand with the fingers doubled into the palm; the closed hand, especially as clinched tightly for the purpose of striking a blow.
- (n.) The talons of a bird of prey.
- (n.) the index mark [/], used to direct special attention to the passage which follows.
- (v. t.) To strike with the fist.
- (v. t.) To gripe with the fist.
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (v. t.) To separate with a sieve, as the fine part of a substance from the coarse; as, to sift meal or flour; to sift powder; to sift sand or lime.
- (v. t.) To separate or part as if with a sieve.
- (v. t.) To examine critically or minutely; to scrutinize.