Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions for: FIX
- (a.) Fixed; solidified.
- (n.) A position of difficulty or embarassment; predicament; dilemma.
- (n.) fettling.
- (v. i.) To become fixed; to settle or remain permanently; to cease from wandering; to rest.
- (v. i.) To become firm, so as to resist volatilization; to cease to flow or be fluid; to congeal; to become hard and malleable, as a metallic substance.
- (v. t.) To make firm, stable, or fast; to set or place permanently; to fasten immovably; to establish; to implant; to secure; to make definite.
- (v. t.) To hold steadily; to direct unwaveringly; to fasten, as the eye on an object, the attention on a speaker.
- (v. t.) To transfix; to pierce.
- (v. t.) To render (an impression) permanent by treating with such applications as will make it insensible to the action of light.
- (v. t.) To put in order; to arrange; to dispose of; to adjust; to set to rights; to set or place in the manner desired or most suitable; hence, to repair; as, to fix the clothes; to fix the furniture of a room.
- (v. t.) To line the hearth of (a puddling furnace) with fettling.