Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: FRAME
- (n.) Anything composed of parts fitted and united together; a fabric; a structure; esp., the constructional system, whether of timber or metal, that gives to a building, vessel, etc., its model and strength; the skeleton of a structure.
- (n.) The bodily structure; physical constitution; make or build of a person.
- (n.) A kind of open case or structure made for admitting, inclosing, or supporting things, as that which incloses or contains a window, door, picture, etc.; that on which anything is held or stretched
- (n.) The skeleton structure which supports the boiler and machinery of a locomotive upon its wheels.
- (n.) A molding box or flask, which being filled with sand serves as a mold for castings.
- (n.) The ribs and stretchers of an umbrella or other structure with a fabric covering.
- (n.) A structure of four bars, adjustable in size, on which cloth, etc., is stretched for quilting, embroidery, etc.
- (n.) A glazed portable structure for protecting young plants from frost.
- (n.) A stand to support the type cases for use by the compositor.
- (n.) A term applied, especially in England, to certain machines built upon or within framework; as, a stocking frame; lace frame; spinning frame, etc.
- (n.) Form; shape; proportion; scheme; structure; constitution; system; as, a frameof government.
- (n.) Particular state or disposition, as of the mind; humor; temper; mood; as, to be always in a happy frame.
- (n.) Contrivance; the act of devising or scheming.
- (v. i.) To shape; to arrange, as the organs of speech.
- (v. i.) To proceed; to go.
- (v. t.) To construct by fitting and uniting the several parts of the skeleton of any structure; specifically, in woodwork, to put together by cutting parts of one member to fit parts of another. See Dovetail, Halve, v. t., Miter, Tenon, Tooth, Tusk, Scarf, and Splice.
- (v. t.) To originate; to plan; to devise; to contrive; to compose; in a bad sense, to invent or fabricate, as something false.
- (v. t.) To fit to something else, or for some specific end; to adjust; to regulate; to shape; to conform.
- (v. t.) To cause; to bring about; to produce.
- (v. t.) To support.
- (v. t.) To provide with a frame, as a picture.