- P. p. of Rive.
- (n.) An opening made by riving or splitting; a cleft; a fissure.
- (n.) A shallow place in a stream; a ford.
- (v. t.) To cleave; to rive; to split; as, to rift an oak or a rock; to rift the clouds.
- (v. i.) To burst open; to split.
- (v. i.) To belch.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: FRIT
- (v. t.) The material of which glass is made, after having been calcined or partly fused in a furnace, but before vitrification. It is a composition of silex and alkali, occasionally with other ingredients.
- (v. t.) The material for glaze of pottery.
- (v. t.) To prepare by heat (the materials for making glass); to fuse partially.
- (v. t.) To fritter; -- with away.