Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: FUR
- (a.) Of or pertaining to furs; bearing or made of fur; as, a fur cap; the fur trade.
- (n.) The short, fine, soft hair of certain animals, growing thick on the skin, and distinguished from the hair, which is longer and coarser.
- (n.) The skins of certain wild animals with the fur; peltry; as, a cargo of furs.
- (n.) Strips of dressed skins with fur, used on garments for warmth or for ornament.
- (n.) Articles of clothing made of fur; as, a set of furs for a lady (a collar, tippet, or cape, muff, etc.).
- (n.) Any coating considered as resembling fur
- (n.) A coat of morbid matter collected on the tongue in persons affected with fever.
- (n.) The soft, downy covering on the skin of a peach.
- (n.) The deposit formed on the interior of boilers and other vessels by hard water.
- (n.) One of several patterns or diapers used as tinctures. There are nine in all, or, according to some writers, only six.
- (v. t.) To line, face, or cover with fur; as, furred robes.
- (v. t.) To cover with morbid matter, as the tongue.
- (v. t.) To nail small strips of board or larger scantling upon, in order to make a level surface for lathing or boarding, or to provide for a space or interval back of the plastered or boarded surface, as inside an outer wall, by way of protection against damp.