Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: GAGE
- (n.) A pledge or pawn; something laid down or given as a security for the performance of some act by the person depositing it, and forfeited by nonperformance; security.
- (n.) A glove, cap, or the like, cast on the ground as a challenge to combat, and to be taken up by the accepter of the challenge; a challenge; a defiance.
- (n.) A variety of plum; as, the greengage; also, the blue gage, frost gage, golden gage, etc., having more or less likeness to the greengage. See Greengage.
- (n.) To give or deposit as a pledge or security for some act; to wage or wager; to pawn or pledge.
- (n.) To bind by pledge, or security; to engage.
- (n.) A measure or standard. See Gauge, n.
- (v. t.) To measure. See Gauge, v. t.