- (n.) A messenger.
- (n.) A spiritual, celestial being, superior to man in power and intelligence. In the Scriptures the angels appear as God's messengers.
- (n.) One of a class of "fallen angels;" an evil spirit; as, the devil and his angels.
- (n.) A minister or pastor of a church, as in the Seven Asiatic churches.
- (n.) Attendant spirit; genius; demon.
- (n.) An appellation given to a person supposed to be of angelic goodness or loveliness; a darling.
- (n.) An ancient gold coin of England, bearing the figure of the archangel Michael. It varied in value from 6s. 8d. to 10s.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definitions of: GALEN
- Greek anatomist whose theories formed the basis of European medicine until the Renaissance (circa 130-200)
Tip: click or tap on an item to view its definition, and more!
- (n.) The inclosed space near the point where two lines meet; a corner; a nook.
- (n.) The figure made by. two lines which meet.
- (n.) The difference of direction of two lines. In the lines meet, the point of meeting is the vertex of the angle.
- (n.) A projecting or sharp corner; an angular fragment.
- (n.) A name given to four of the twelve astrological "houses."
- (n.) A fishhook; tackle for catching fish, consisting of a line, hook, and bait, with or without a rod.
- (v. i.) To fish with an angle (fishhook), or with hook and line.
- (v. i.) To use some bait or artifice; to intrigue; to scheme; as, to angle for praise.
- (v. t.) To try to gain by some insinuating artifice; to allure.
- (v. t.) To gather after a reaper; to collect in scattered or fragmentary parcels, as the grain left by a reaper, or grapes left after the gathering.
- (v. t.) To gather from (a field or vineyard) what is left.
- (v. t.) To collect with patient and minute labor; to pick out; to obtain.
- (v. i.) To gather stalks or ears of grain left by reapers.
- (v. i.) To pick up or gather anything by degrees.
- (n.) A collection made by gleaning.
- (n.) Cleaning; afterbirth.