Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition for: GAUGE
- (n.) A measure; a standard of measure; an instrument to determine dimensions, distance, or capacity; a standard.
- (n.) Measure; dimensions; estimate.
- (n.) Any instrument for ascertaining or regulating the dimensions or forms of things; a templet or template; as, a button maker's gauge.
- (n.) Any instrument or apparatus for measuring the state of a phenomenon, or for ascertaining its numerical elements at any moment; -- usually applied to some particular instrument; as, a rain gauge; a steam gauge.
- (n.) Relative positions of two or more vessels with reference to the wind; as, a vessel has the weather gauge of another when on the windward side of it, and the lee gauge when on the lee side of it.
- (n.) The depth to which a vessel sinks in the water.
- (n.) The distance between the rails of a railway.
- (n.) The quantity of plaster of Paris used with common plaster to accelerate its setting.
- (n.) That part of a shingle, slate, or tile, which is exposed to the weather, when laid; also, one course of such shingles, slates, or tiles.
- (v. t.) To measure or determine with a gauge.
- (v. t.) To measure or to ascertain the contents or the capacity of, as of a pipe, barrel, or keg.
- (v. t.) To measure the dimensions of, or to test the accuracy of the form of, as of a part of a gunlock.
- (v. t.) To draw into equidistant gathers by running a thread through it, as cloth or a garment.
- (v. t.) To measure the capacity, character, or ability of; to estimate; to judge of.