- (n.) A kind of earthen or metal drinking cup, with a handle, -- usually cylindrical and without a lip.
- (n.) The face or mouth.
Click or tap here to find out how this works
Tip: insert a question mark by pressing your spacebar.
Definition of: GUM
- (n.) The dense tissues which invest the teeth, and cover the adjacent parts of the jaws.
- (n.) A vegetable secretion of many trees or plants that hardens when it exudes, but is soluble in water; as, gum arabic; gum tragacanth; the gum of the cherry tree. Also, with less propriety, exudations that are not soluble in water; as, gum copal and gum sandarac, which are really resins.
- (n.) See Gum tree, below.
- (n.) A hive made of a section of a hollow gum tree; hence, any roughly made hive; also, a vessel or bin made of a hollow log.
- (n.) A rubber overshoe.
- (v. i.) To exude or from gum; to become gummy.
- (v. t.) To deepen and enlarge the spaces between the teeth of (a worn saw). See Gummer.
- (v. t.) To smear with gum; to close with gum; to unite or stiffen by gum or a gumlike substance; to make sticky with a gumlike substance.